Monday, June 23, 2008

IS THAT SUPPOSE TO BE A SODA BOX CAR?

For the last few weeks Nicholas has been asking to build a box car. I knew that I could figure out how to build one but felt like this would be a great opportunity for Adam to have some male bonding time with Nick:). This past Saturday, Adam and Nick set off on an interesting adventure that started at The Home Depot. 2 metal rods, 4 tires, a couple of bolts, a few screws and a piece of wood later, they returned to embark on what would end up being a disaster of a box car!

As most of us know it requires a bit more than a few rods of metal and some screws and bolts to make a box car. But Adam being the craftsman that he is thought that he could build one without a pattern or any previous woodworking experience.

Now most box cars have rails, a seat and definitely a steering wheel or some sort of rigged rope that allow the driver to steer the car. Needless to say, and you can tell by the pictures, Nicholas' box card had none of the above! His feet were his brakes if he need to suddenly stop. He was to drop them in between the first and second piece of wood and hope that he didn't break a ankle in the process.

A steering wheel would have come in handy to assist in guiding this one of a kind box car down the driveway. The car automatically veers to the left due to the fact that the front wheels are a slight bit wider than the back wheels. Measuring would have helped fix that, but that would have taken too much time:) Two of the neighborhood kids were over and advised Adam that their dad could soo make a better car than he did! What could Adam say to their honest comments. They were 100% right. He laughed about it and their Dad offered to help build Nick a actual box car.


What I love most about Nicholas is that even thought this box car didn't turn out like he dreamed it would(his exact words) he is proud of it regardless. He still thinks that it is awesome even though everyone who passes by probably wonders, "What on earth is that suppose to be?" As my brother put it so well, "He would be better off in a red wagon!" LOL. Hats off to Adam and for his attempt at his first, but definitely not his last, box car.















10 comments:

Rheads said...

I gave into the "CRAZY BLOG PRESSURE" at new years when a couple of my girlfriends gave me a challenge! I update mine every Sunday!(except when I am out of town!)I left a message about your new home! It's gorgeous! Congratulations! I am so happy for you that thing are going so well!

Call me! We need to catch up!

Rheads said...

Our blog is rheadfamily.blogspot.com

Jenniffer

Thurman Family Information said...

I thought as I watched the video it is probably good there is not much wood on the car. It is easier to pull up the hill to ride down again. Cool running, Nick!

abhau Family said...

This has to be the funniest post I have ever seen! Love it. Nik, Aunt Meggie loves you best!

Rasheta Family said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahaahaha

Owen said...

Wow!! Nice atttempt! Nick is such a sweet kid to accept his dad's failed attempt! Too funny!

Donna said...

OHHHH Poor Nick! It's like the "Flinstones" car. Well at least Adam tried......we all know what a "handy man" he is! hehehe!

Aaron and Mandy said...

Well, I suppose the fact that our Father actually owned his own construction company and is as handy as they come, helped out just two of us (Pete and me). So sorry you didn't pay attention Adam! teehee - Tell Nik that next time to ask his Uncle Pete or Aunt Mandy and we will hook him up!! I love that little guy. Cheers, Mandy

Donna said...

HELLO.....time for a new posting already...geeez.:):)

abhau Family said...

Adam, I think that it looked great. Who needs a steering wheel, anyway.

Believe, me, it is WAY better than I would have built...

Good job.