Saturday, April 17, 2010

CHOOSING THE RIGHT

Every third Thursday of the month I volunteer, during school lunch hours, at the Spirit Store. When your child comes into the cafeteria, it is customary to go over and visit with them for a minute at their table before the chaos begins at the store. So this past Thursday that is exactly what I did, but what I came upon will forever be embedded in my memory of not only the Spirit Store, but more importantly the actions of Nick.
So this is what went down: During lunch, you are only allowed 6 kids at a table. Nick was at his table along with 5 other boys when one of the boys who was already at the table with him, who is in need of friends, wanted to switch seats with Nick. So Nick got up to trade places with this boy when another boy swooped in and took this boys seat. Needless to say, the boy that took the seat would not move which forced the boy, that is in need of friends, to move to another table that did not have all the boys at it. The next thing I know, I see Nick grab his tray of food and move to the other table with that boy, leaving all of his buddies at the other table.
I asked him quietly why he moved. He was fighting back tears trying to be as discrete and brief as possible, so I got the point and left it at that. So on Friday afternoon, while we were laying on our living room floor, I decided to ask him about what happened the previous day at lunch. He told me the same thing as the prior day but with more detail. As we were laying on the floor discussing it, I was expressing to him how proud I was of him and how he handled the situation, tears began to well up in both of our eyes. I told him that his actions truly made that boy feel important and liked.
As a parent, you strive to teach your children to be an advocate for those that perhaps don't have the personality or the means to be one for themselves and to do what is right even when it is not necessarily the easiest thing to do. That is exactly what he did. He made a very BIG statement without saying a word to all of his buddies about how to treat others.

5 comments:

Rasheta Family said...

I think I am going to well up with tears. I am so proud of Nicholas. Something happened similar to me in 5th grade, but I was the one sitting alone. That girl who decided to switch tables changed my life. Give him a hug from me and one day I will tell him my story!
PS. since my blog is private it wont show when I update it on your blog.

Marci said...

WOW! What a wonderful story about a truly wonderful kid! Nick has a huge heart, and it's so great that he is setting such a good example for all those around him.

Amy said...

Way to go Nick! AND way to go Aimee and Adam for being such great parents that he would even think to do something like that.

Kelsie & Reilly said...

I always knew he was good behind the crazy side I always saw!

Rob & Jennie Ogden said...

I love that boy and the parents that taught him such great values! I wish Nick was closer to rub off on Zach, a little positive peer pressure never hurt anyone! Miss you all so much!